How to Marry a Filipino Bride & Bring Her to the US
Filipino women are some of the best women for marriage. Single Americans search for and meet them online, on hundreds of new dating sites. These sites provide various marriage and relationship services like reviews. However, not all of them can give you quality information about legal aspects of marriage. The information that they share can be superficial and even controversial.
We find ourselves responsible for providing the best information services to you regarding marriage with Filipino women. You do not need to search for anything. In this how to marry a Filipino bride guide, we have collected the most useful, new and trustworthy information for American men who wish to spend life with a Filipino wife.
Scroll down to find explicit explanations about love and visa affairs!
How to tell a Filipino woman you want to marry her
In the Philippines mail order brides are popular among American men. Bachelors from the US meet these ladies on Filipino dating sites, visit the Philippines to see their love-birds, and then get married at some point. But how does it happen? Is it OK to talk about marrying prospects after a few months of knowing the girl? The answer is – it depends on which Filipino bride you have got.
If it’s an easy-going club or bar girl, it will be very easy to marry her. These girls in the Philippines dream of marrying foreign men, especially Americans, as they are associated with wealthiness, respect toward women, success and so on. You can tell this kind of a Filipino woman that you want to marry her straight away – no ceremonies are required. Note, however, that a club girl may rather be after your money than your heart, so weigh all your priorities first.
If you want to marry a proper Philippines girl with a kind heart who is interested in a long-term relationship and family, search for her on a specialized Filipino mail order bride site. These girls are usually more conservative, and you should not jump at her with your marriage proposal.
Take one step at a time:
- Talk with her, get to know her, spend time with each other.
- Get close to her friends and family, make sure they like you. Filipino people may be quite conservative and religious, so you should make it as traditional as possible.
- Once you see that she’s very into you, her parents like you and might have even asked about marriage prospects, it’s time to act.
- Ask your Filipino love-bird how she imagines her married life, her family. You will give her a hint but you will not shock her either. Pay attention to what she says, observe her reaction. If she gives you some hints or says directly that she would like you to spend life with her, be honest with her about your feelings, plans and concerns.
- Now you can prepare the official proposal – book a table in a restaurant, get a ring, or do something more novel – order a trip somewhere and stand on your knee somewhere on a sunny beach.
- After she says yes, know, it’s not the end. You have to ask her family for permission, otherwise, it may not work (although, it depends a lot on the family, so ask her indirectly about this before or ask her friends)
- If you have made a good impression on her parents, they will approve of your marriage for sure
When is it right to ask a Filipino woman to marry you?
There is no universal and right answer for everyone’s situation. The general practice says you should talk about marrying a Philippines woman once you both seem to be mature and ready for it. Also, when you know that her parents like you and are very likely to say yes as well.
If her parents are against you marrying their daughter, there is not much you can do if she doesn’t live an independent life from them. However, keep in mind that many Filipino women who register as mail order brides, though traditional, are also modern. Many of them can be independent of parents, very smart and savvy and pursue their careers. So it all varies from case to case.
How to bring a Filipino woman to the US
So you have proposed. You two are already in the honeymoon mood. You can’t wait to spend a sweet time together but guess what… here all the paperwork comes in. It might be annoying but if you follow these simple steps, you will be able to succeed and enjoy the rest of your life with a sweet Filipino wife.
If your bride is from the Philippines, and you two have decided that she will move to America with you, there are two solutions for you:
- You either get a bride visa for her (also known as “fiancée visa”), she arrives in your country and you get married
- Or you marry her in the Philippines, get a spouse visa and then you move to the US
Whatever you choose, sounds like a great plan! And what you choose depends only on your situation and circumstances. Information is on us. Find the answers below but note that we do not give any legal advice. Whatever we say, you should double-check with authorities, for example, USCIS (American Citizenship and Immigration Services) and American Embassy in the Philippines, for individual situations.
How long does it take to get a Filipino bride visa
Are you an American guy? Is she your Filipino bombshell? Get hre a K-1 visa to enter the States and have a sweet and fun wedding! This visa is also called bride one, as we have told you above. It is nonimmigrant, and it will allow your boo-boo to stay in the country for 90 days within which you two will have to say “YES” to each other officially and get it stamped.
This visa isn’t like a tourist or student, it will take some time to get it. In particular, you will have to wait for 6-9 months to get it (9 months is almost like getting a baby born, isn’t it?)
What are the benefits of this? Well, your Filipino wifey will get a right to apply for the green card right after the wedding.
What are the pitfalls? While it’s obvious that you have to hold an American passport, neither of you should have obstacles to marry each other, there are two more things keep in the back of your head before applying for the bride visa:
You cannot get married if you never saw each other in life. In fact, you should have met each other face-to-face minimum one time (you do have to have an offline date!) within 2 years before starting to mess with this paperwork.
And you two should be sure you will make it (we mean the wedding and official marriage) within 90 days after she arrives. If you have no such intention, well, sorry, but you should.
So here’s the short guide on what to do:
#1. File a Petition (the right one)
It’s called a Petition for an Alien Fiancée. You can do this through the USCIS site. They will also let you know which document you need to submit along. If your claimed relationship is recognized (yes, that’s what they do!), your documents will be forwarded to DOS National Visa Center (NVC).
#2. Apply for the Fiancée (almost like Beyoncé) Visa
You know bureaucrats like sending documents to each other, right? That’s what will happen. The above-mentioned NVC will send your petition to the American Embassy where your future wifey will be applying for the visa (in Manila, for instance).
The embassy will let your Filipino girl know when to come for the interview. She has to apply for the visa and take all the documents to the embassy.
If granted, your Filipino bride visa will be valid for up to 6 months. However, it will be possible to enter the US only once with this visa.
#3. Get into America
If things go smoothly, your lady can now travel to the US. An officer at the airport, for example, will check if her visa is fine and decide if she can enter. Just a normal procedure.
#4: Marry her, for God’s sake!
Yes, it’s time to get married! But don’t procrastinate, you only have 90 days since your boo’s arrival in America.
The bride visa expires automatically after around three months and cannot be extended. So if you do not marry, the Filipina will have to leave the country, and if she has children, they will have to leave as well. If failed, they will be deported. And yes, it may cause problems if she wants to enter the States again.
But there’s a plan B. If you marry in America after the 90 days, you should file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130).
#5. Get other perks
You thought you would get married and that’s it? No! You can also get many benefits. For example, after marrying, your love-bird will get the right to apply for the green card (form I-485).
Another perk is that your Filipino beauty will get a chance to file an I-765 form, thus, she will get the right to… work! Of course, if she doesn’t want to work and you don’t want this either, it’s fine, she can be a beautiful housewife or so. But she has the right – just for you to know. Her work authorization will be valid for 90 days.
If she applies for the green card and work authorization simultaneously, then the latter will be valid for an entire year, so keep this in mind as well.
It is common to marry Filipino women in this way. But if you marry your woman in the Philippines, the rules of the game will change. Find below how exactly.
How to marry a Filipina in the Philippines
Before we tell you how to bring your wifey to America, we will tell you how to get marriage stamps in the Filipino land.
Here are the steps to follow:
- You check with your Filipino bride how and where it is done in her city. You, as a foreigner, will be required to show the Philippines authorities a document, called “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage”. They require this from your embassy and it shows that there are no obstacles for you to marry a Filipino woman.
- But here’s the tricky thing – American consular officers are not allowed to do this. But what they can help you with is the “Affidavit In Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage”. You will sign it, they will facilitate everything and voila! Now you can marry in the Philippines!
- Usually, the Philippines government accepts it, so you will be fine. Note that you will have to cover all the fees related to this and they are not refundable.
- Additionally, do not rush to file a marriage license straight away. There’s another little requirement that you will have to fulfill. Namely, to provide a “Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” document for the Philippines government.
How to get a Filipino wife to the USA
To bring a Filipino wife to the US, you have to be either a US citizen or a Green Card holder. For either situation, the algorithm is almost the same. But we will break it down so that it will be easier for you to digest it.
If you hold an American passport:
- And if your wife is already in the US after entering legally, you have to file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) and apply for a Green Card for her (Form I-485).
- If she’s outside the US, let’s say, in the Philippines, you will have to file the same I-130 petition. But when it’s approved, it will be sent for consular processing. Then the consulate or embassy will notify you and give further instructions.
If you are the green card holder:
- And if your Filipino wifey in the US, the procedure is the same – file I-130 and I-485 forms.
- If she’s in the Philippines, file I-130. Then, when it is approved and the visa is available, it will be sent for consular processing.
You can always find more information on the official authorities' sites and see which documents you need to submit for each case. Yes, seeking marriage with Filipino women may seem challenging, but it’s nothing new! You can nail it!
If in any case your petition was denied, you will have a right to appeal. It will comprise some fees, but generally, you will still have a chance.
Hope this guide has helped you to understand how to marry a Filipino woman and bring her to the US. Now it’s you who needs to act, so good luck! We are here, though, to help you with any dating and marriage related services. Find the best reviews of Filipino women dating sites here as well!